Monday, October 18, 2010

Beauty is Skin Deep and Deep Skin is Not Beauty

Today this thought ran through my head as I looked in the mirror:
Perhaps today is the day that starts to show my neglect of moisturizer from the first few years of my twenties.

I know, I know.
Moisturizer is the key to great skin.

And yet, I have pores the size of craters on the moon.
I do not have porcelain smooth skin or an alabaster brow.
This immediately rules me out as being a heroine in a western romance novel or the nemesis in a dime store fashionista book.

I'm ok with that.

**********

With little warning my hubby mentioned that we needed to leave for his appointment in 15 minutes today.
And then this thought ran through my head:
Why, oh why, did I have a luxurious bath last night instead of the practical one where I wash my hair?
No matter. Oily hair can be semi-disguised by a quick ponytail.

I know, I know.
Lather, rinse, REPEAT is what makes shiny hair.

And yet, I do not have silken hair that the sun shines off.
This rules me out of participating in Pantene Pro-V commercials and pointless hair dye magazine ads.

I'm ok with that.

**********

And when my kids were yelling in the back of the car planning the start of WW3, this thought ran through my head:
Lord, give me strength.

Instead of yelling at my kiddos, I gently told them to be quiet and asked questions to seek solution, rather than just arrive at silence 'because I said so!!!'

This may have qualified me for actually living out 1 Peter 3:4: Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.

And I'm ok with that.

2 comments:

Five Seconds From Crazy said...

What a lovely post! May I link this on my facebook?

Lynne said...

This was great, thanks for sharing!