Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Emotional Toolbox

I have a friend who used to cut.
Self-injure and carve herself up in order to release emotional pain.
As I asked her to tell me about it, she explained that she had no way to release her emotions and had never been taught healthy ways to express her fear and anxiety.

It made me stop and think about Mediated Learning. It made me realize that when we are teaching the elements of Mediated Learning, we are filling our kids emotional tool box with skills that they need in order to express themselves in a healthy and positive way.

Think about it:
We use the Sharing technique...
Self-regulation....
Asking questions...
SENSE OF BELONGING....
And the list goes on.

I'm not saying the Mediated Learning is the cure for self-injury. I'm making a connection with the realization that we, as parents, need to teach our children how to handle the powerful emotions of pain, anxiety, fear, hurt, loneliness and rejection.

There is no better place to go to than to the One who was cut, whipped, carved, nailed and speared for all of the sins that try to hold us back from freedom.

His wounds, the round and gaping holes in His hands, will carefully handle all the fear and worry we throw His way.

His wounded body is my sense of belonging.
I belong to Him.

No comments: