Monday, February 21, 2011

Peace in the Time of War

"Stop hitting your sister!"
"That's enough! Quit talking rudely."
On and on it goes, lately.
What to do with all that bickering?

I have been using the Young Peacemaker guide book to help my children understand conflict. This is an excellent resource for families.

We are going through the guide slowly (which means, I am still on lesson one after three months of using this book). Anyway, the Young Peacemaker has a great illustration:


It's the Slippery Slope.
We've talked about this slope extensively. And wouldn't you know it? I have one child who likes to use the ESCAPE approach when confronted with conflict. The other uses ATTACK mode.
We've had a lot of discussions about this and how it makes each person feel.
We're working on using peacemaking solutions.

Now when I hear the fighting or the bickering commence, I usually have to say, "What slope are you on?"
I usually hear one of the kids say, "Slippery Slope!"
"And what are you going to do?"

Sometimes they answer and say, "Get back to solid ground and work it out."
And sometimes they pretend they didn't hear me as they sit on their sibling and give them a "snake bite" arm burn.
I have to believe that at some point....SOME POINT....they will truly catch on to this whole concept of being a Peace maker. I am undeterred.

In the mean time, you won't want to meet them in a back alley on a dark night. Not unless you want some serious snake bites.

Criteria Focus: Self-Regulation

No comments: