Wednesday, March 17, 2010

St. Patrick's Day

I used to not giving a flying fig about St. Patrick's Day. The impish leprauchauns, all that gold at the end of the rainbow, etc. really left me ignoring this day. That is, until I read this blog post.
Then my view changed.
So, last night as I was contemplating the over-commercialization of this holiday, I asked the Lord for an idea to redeem it. And this is what I came up with.

At 11:00 pm at night.

It takes 20 minutes to whip this together, folks, so you can still do it today.

Green milkshakes
Green eggs
And a scavenger hunt.
This is the verse John 6:41
And it tells my girls that we'll be making Irish soda bread today
It also is a hint for our where to look for the next scavenger clue
In the recipe book
St Patrick used the clover to teach about the Trinity. So the first three clues are about the Trinity.
This one is about being a helper today like the Holy Spirit helps us
The next clue is hidden under the couch
Praying for others
Today we're making Irish blessings and the Aaronic priestly blessing on paper plaques for our neighbours
and the next clue is in the fridge
A short discussion on how we are to remain faithful to God in times of trouble.
We discuss the Great Potato Famine and talk about eating potatoes for dinner
The potatoes hold the next clue
Today we will follow in the footsteps of St. Patrick and share the Gospel of Jesus with others
On the fourth clue, my daughter recognized that we were doing a rainbow. I talked about the rainbow being a reminder of God's covenant promise to us. And asked her if she knew what kind of 'gold' we found at the end of the rainbow? Hope in Christ!
Our rainbow ends in the dishwasher!
Here is our pot of gold. Special treasures for my kids and some special treasures to make some cards for troops overseas to tell them that we are praying for them and that Jesus loves them.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments: