Monday, May 24, 2010

Questions, questions, questions

So, as I admitted earlier, I kind of checked out mentally for a bit. I'm told by others it happens a lot to homeschool moms.
Relief for me at the thought that there is safety in numbers.
If we all have meltdowns then I guess we are not insane!
Maybe....

Anyway, here's a great question I asked myself.
How do I get back into the swing of things? How do I start mediating again?

The answer being so obvious and with a bit of an oxymoron twist: Questions.
Ask questions.

I set aside time for both daughters to do an activity where all I did was ask questions. Not once providing an answer for them but having them figure out the answer.
I had to go back later and bridge and put meaning into the whole lesson.
But that's the beauty of Mediated Learning.
You can return to prior conversations and say, "You know, I was thinking about what we talked about and how it relates to...."

So, if you don't know where to start with Mediated Learning...go back to the beginning. Don't tell your kids anything. Just ask questions and see where it leads.

No comments: