Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Quick Quotes

I found an old notebook from last summer and I wrote down all my favourite quotes from novels that I read.
Had to share them!

If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go together. -African Proverb

But it was truth. And truth, the kind of truth that has the power to set you free sometimes comes with no emotion. Like an anchor, it simply holds fast. -Peculiar Treasures, Robin Gunn Jones

Ever since I noticed that the best whiners and complainers of the Old Testament had books of the Bible named after them, I'd found my voice. -Mibby, Always Green by Patti Hill

Throughout history, kitchens have been the chapels where women gather to soothe and fortify one another-chapels with colored wallpaper instead of stained glass windows. The kitchen table, sticky with rings of juice from breakfast, is an altar of prayer. The soulful hum of the refrigerator replaces the choir. -Mibby, Always Green by Patti Hill

Suprisingly, the blubberfest I conjured up wasn't satisfying. It was a bit boring. In fact, it was like a dish of fat free vanilla frozen yogurt. Ho hum. -Mibby, Always Green by Patti Hill

We're just going to move on past it like it never happened. I don't even mention it when I'm talking about you. It's like that strange cousin we all have who is "accidentally" left out of all the photos. You know what I mean. -J. R., My Life as a Doormat (in three acts) by Rene Gutteridge

I don't require much, but the few necessities I do need are paramount. -Christy Miller, I Promise by Robin Jones Gunn

...marvelous dark eyes. They belonged on an oil portrait, round, deep and expressive, the rich colour of wet paint. -The House at Riverton by Kate Morton

Inspiration from outside one's self is like the heat in an oven. It makes passable Bath buns. But inspiration from within is like a volcano: It changes the face of the world. -The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag by Alan Bradley


They seem nice, though, your sisters, really,” Porcelain remarked.

“Ha!” I said. “Shows what little you know! I hate them.”

“Hate them? I should have thought you'd love them.”

“Of course I love them,” I said, throwing myself full length onto the bed. “That's why I'm so good at hating them.”

-Flavia de Luce, A red Herring without Mustard by Alan Bradley


What quotes do you love from recent reads?

No comments: