Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Blessings and Blind Eyes

Do you ever start your new school year thinking everything will magically click together today because, in theory, TODAY is a NEW day?

I did that today.

You would think I would know better. After all, this is my third year schooling my kiddos.
But apparently I don't know better.

Sigh--a sign of things to come? I hope not.
Rather, I will admit that, there have been some character issues that I was secretly hoping would disappear.
A wish to build a dream on.

That's a silly thought to think that the character issues would go away--they usually tend to grow bigger.
Which is exactly what has happened in my case.
My picture of a wonderful first day of being back into learning was quickly soured when met with attitude, temper and unloving actions.

Sigh--a sign of things to come? I hope not.

I pray. A lot.

And give myself a little pep talk,
"Be the parent!"

I open the door and resolve to solve our tensions.

When my patience is thin, I assign a Bible verse to memorize and write out. I prefer it rather than angry exchange of words with my child.

Mediated Learning works perfectly for discussing character and scripture. It's so wonderful to go in and meet with my child's heart by asking the questions and
listening to their response. Not the response we want them to give, but listening to the one that they truly speak out .

After every time of tension with this particular child, we will pray together and then I will bless her.

Because I believe this is just a season, just another hurdle to jump over and there is a blessing to be found in it.
And I want that child to hear that my heart is grateful that our conflicts are the entry point to deeper relationship with each other.
I also want them to hear that I'm not giving up.

Especially if it's only the beginning of the school year.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Just wanted to say that I enjoy your blog and loved the thoughts you shared today!